04 February 2014

Verbum: My Fantasy/Fiction Pet Project

Dear readers (if any),

I have long been planning to write a good fictional story that I could pass of as a series of posts on a certain blog dedicated for it. I have come up with a lot of amazing ideas before but I was lacking the drive. When I was in college, I have written a couple of short stories both in Filipino and English tackling different things and exploring different genres. This year, as I plan to focus more on my writing portfolio, I pushed the idea of pursuing the genre closest to my heart: fantasy.

I am an avid reader of fantasy stories. It's a form of escape for most people, myself included. The idea that some writers can create entire worlds and universes within the pages and transporting their readers to these places allured me so much. I wouldn't be able to create alternate realities as of yet so I will work with what I have. I will scatter the possibility of discovering something fantastical in the everyday places that we go to. I want my readers to never look at the same places they have crossed and re-crossed a thousand times ever again.

So I came up with the idea of Verbum. The title is the Latin term for "word". It tells the story of a couple of magicians and magic practitioners roaming around the streets of Metro Manila, battling the forces of evil with the words of magic alone. Verbum was taken from the Judeo-Christian belief that the entire Universe was all created by just the utterance of words. Words have power. Words should not be taken lightly.

The story is still being developed in it's structure but I already have the rough framework in my mind. I just have to go and set it down to writing. More updates will follow hereafter.

I am but a bud in a meadow when place side by side with them but I do want to make a mark when it comes to contemporary literature and that can only happen if I start writing now.

I hope you guys will like it. Feedback in any form will be most welcome.



Love,

Bern

No comments: